Tuesday 1 April 2014

Volunteering and Ghana = Amazing Opportunity

My sister called me one night and asked me if I would be interested in participating in a volunteering project in Ghana. I told her yes and was anxiously awaiting more details from Lennon. I always wanted to do more volunteer work and was grateful for the opportunity to do so. I first volunteered at a boy's orphanage in Trinidad. The boy that I helped was 10 years old but looked like a 6 year old. He was very short, tiny and had a very....very short attention span. After he completed 1 Math question he became restless and ran off to play with the other boys and always seemed to have lost his pencil, which he looked ALL OVER the orphanage home for, before he could attempt another question. It was an enjoyable learning experience, inclusive of methods to use while helping children with a short attention span :).

Thus far, I have attended 2 meeting sessions for TLFHD Educational and Cultural Exchange Programme and obtained a better understanding of what volunteering is all about. I have also learnt a lot about Ghana and Ghanaian culture. I am very excited about this programme and I am trying to keep in mind that in Ghana my right hand is my only hand :)

No comments:

Post a Comment