Thursday 10 April 2014

Interpersonal Skills

The 5th meeting for the TLFHD programme was held on Saturday 5th April, 2014 and Ms. Ann Marie was present to explain the weird birthday suit homework : ).

The week long birthday suit home work was about being able to really look at and analyse yourself. Identifying what you liked and disliked, and even discovered about yourself. It was also about understanding that there are somethings about yourself that you can and cannot change. There are definitely a few things that I can and want to change, for the better, about myself.

Ms. Ann Marie also examined with us the process involved in communication. She helped me in understanding that noise, which is anything that disturbs a message from being received in its truest form, could also be me : O. I also understood that the me involved in disturbing messages were amygdala hijacks and that explained a lot....wow.....: ). My poker face may have been a happy, sad, confused or sell-out blushing face....sigh.....when all I wanted was for it to be a poker face : /.

Murphy's 7 C's of effective communication were also discussed as shown below.


Communication styles such as Assertive, Aggressive, Passive Aggressive were then discussed in detail about their appropriateness in different communication situations. Assertive Communication is the preferred communication style to use as it is appropriate for most communication situations. One thing that stood out to me was that no matter what communication style is used, once emotion (mi boy amygdala starts doing his thing) steps in, assertiveness is lost and you open or expose yourself. As a result of this exposure, most times you loose and sometimes you may win. I also understood that the communication style an individual mainly uses links to their intrapersonal being.


Functioning as a professional, ethics and finding your moral compass were also discussed with Lennon and Glendora. Being a professional involves being goal-oriented and also being able to get rid of distractions that hinder the achievement of goals. The method a professional uses in obtaining goals and getting rid of distractions is very important, remembering Leekai as he kicked the bottle lmbo and Kayde as he picked up the bottle lol.



2 comments:

  1. Nice one Dani! is a good thing I went in after Leekai cause Lord knows how much I woulda laugh when I see him kick that bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol....for real. I laughed a lot from Leekai and then Kayde just put the icing on the cake lol.

    ReplyDelete